Setting up your school iPad
1. Put your name on the iPad
- Write your name on the sticker provided.
- Put the sticker across the Apple logo on the back of the iPad.
2. Put the iPad in the case provided
- To protect your iPad, please place it into the case provided.
There’s a small set of instructions with the case. If you’re struggling, please ask a member of staff.
The iPad is to remain in its case at all times to prevent the screen from being broken.
Once you have done this, you can take your iPad home.
3. Once you are at home … Setting up the iPad – Stage 1
- Turn the iPad on (power button is on the top right corner)
- Slide “Hello” to begin setting up the iPad
- Choose English
- Choose United Kingdom
- Choose your home wifi network and type in your wifi password
- Enable Location Services
- You will then see a message “Haslingden High School will automatically configure your iPad”. Press Next (in the top right corner)
- Create a Passcode (you can choose a 4 or 6 digit code, or a word, depending on what you prefer)
- Turn on Siri
- Tap Get Started
Please leave the iPad on for the next hour or so to allow all the apps to install. It may take longer depending on the speed of your home wifi. There should be around 22 apps in total so please be patient! You can stop the iPad from going to sleep by tapping Settings –> General –> Auto-Lock and then change the number of minutes.
4. Setting up the iPad – Stage 2
You will need to update the iPad to the latest version of iOS.
- Tap Settings
- Tap General then Software Update
- Download and install the latest software update – the latest version is iOS 9.3.5
- This will take around 20 minutes to complete
5. Either – Sign in with an Apple ID if you already have one
An Apple ID allows you to download any personal apps and allows you to back up your iPad and the content you create for it. You can use an Apple ID that belongs to a parent if they already have one. Go to Settings –> iTunes and App Store and then sign in.
OR – Create a new Apple ID on the iPad
Watch the following video or follow the steps below to create an Apple ID without the need to input credit card details. Please note, social media apps are not allowed in school.
- Go to the App Store
- Choose any free app —> Press Get then Install
- Choose Create New Apple ID
- Choose UK
- Scroll down the page of Terms and Conditions and press Agree
- Fill in the information on the next screen as below:
- Use your child’s school email address.
- This is your child’s full first name and surname followed by @haslingdenhigh.com
- For example, Joseph Bloggs‘ email address would be firstname.lastname@example.org
Apple ID Password
- Must have a capital letter, a number and a minimum of 8 characters.
Apple ID Security Information
- Choose three questions and answers.
Optional Rescue Email
- Enter a personal email address.
Apple ID Date of Birth
- Enter your parent/guardian’s date of birth in the field. Do not enter your child’s date of birth.
- Press Next
Make sure that the Billing Information has None selected:
Enter Name and Address Info
Verifying your Apple ID
- You need to sign in Google Mail (Gmail) on your iPad or on another device with access to the internet.
- Your child’s email address is child’s first name and surname followed by @haslingdenhigh.com
- For example, Joe Bloggs‘ email address would be email@example.com
- The default password is year7
- Once in your email, open the email from Apple and click Verify Now.
That’s it! You are all set up and ready to begin using your iPad at Haslingden High School.